US Secret Service Chief Kimberly Cheatle Grilled By US Panel Over Trump Assassination Trump

George4

US Secret Service Chief Kimberly Cheatle Grilled By US Panel Over Trump Assassination Trump On July 22, US Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle rebuffed bipartisan demands for her resignation following significant security failures that allowed a would-be assassin to wound Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. The incident, which occurred on July 13, has led to intense scrutiny from lawmakers and widespread criticism of the Secret Service's performance.During a heated session of the US House of Representatives Oversight Committee, both Republican Chair James Comer and top Democrat Jamie Raskin—normally deeply divided on most issues—called for Cheatle to step down. Comer expressed the committee's collective disappointment, stating, "This committee is not known for its model of bipartisanship, and I think today we came together unanimously in our disappointment. We don't have that confidence that you can lead."Raskin echoed these sentiments, asserting that Cheatle had "lost the confidence of Congress at a very urgent and tender moment in the history of the country, and we very quickly need to move beyond this."Throughout the over 4-1/2 hour proceedings, Cheatle faced numerous calls to resign. She characterized the July 13 shooting as "the most significant operational failure at the Secret Service in decades," drawing parallels to the 1981 attempted assassination of former President Ronald Reagan. Despite this, she stood firm against the demands for her resignation, stating, "I think that I am the best person to lead the Secret Service at this time."Cheatle's refusal to provide detailed information about the incident further frustrated lawmakers, who are seeking accountability and assurances that such failures will not happen again. The situation continues to develop as Congress and the Secret Service navigate this critical moment in national security.