Recognizing the Cancellation Policy of Scandinavian Airlines

lowfaresfinder

I recently had to deal with a flight cancellation situation and found myself needing to understand Scandinavian Airlines cancellation policy. I thought it might be helpful to share the key points I discovered to assist others who might find themselves in a similar situation.

1. Cancellation Within 24 Hours: If you cancel your SAS flight within 24 hours of booking and your flight is at least 7 days away, you are eligible for a full refund. This is in line with the U.S. Department of Transportation's 24-hour rule, but it's always a good idea to double-check if you’re booking from outside the U.S.

2. Cancellation Fees: If you cancel your flight outside of the 24-hour window, SAS’s cancellation fees will depend on the type of ticket you purchased. For most non-refundable tickets, you might incur a fee, and the remaining amount could be given as a travel voucher rather than a cash refund. Refundable tickets usually come with fewer restrictions and fees.

3. Refund Process: If your flight is canceled by SAS, they generally offer a full refund or the option to rebook on another flight. In case of a voluntary cancellation, refunds are processed back to the original payment method, but this can take several weeks. For canceled flights due to SAS’s fault (e.g., operational issues), passengers are entitled to a full refund or rebooking.

4. Travel Insurance: It’s worth noting that travel insurance might cover additional costs or offer refunds if you need to cancel your trip for reasons not covered by SAS’s policy. Always check with your insurance provider for specifics.

5. Contacting Customer Service: For any issues or clarifications, SAS customer service can be contacted through their website, via phone, or at their airport counters. Make sure to have your booking reference and personal details ready to expedite the process.