Australia's Raygun Speaks Of 'Devastating' Hate Following Olympics

George4

Australia's Raygun Speaks Of 'Devastating' Hate Following Olympics Australian breakdancer Rachael Gunn, better known as B-Girl Raygun, has spoken of the "devastating" criticism she has received in the wake of her performances at the Paris Olympics.Gunn, a 36-year-old Australian university lecturer, was pilloried online and in mainstream media after she lost all three of her round robin battles.In a video released on her Instagram on August 15, Gunn defended her selection and said she was honoured to be part of Breaking's debut at the Games."I didn't realize that that would also open the door to so much hate, which has frankly been pretty devastating. But I went out there and I had fun. I did take it very seriously. I worked my butt off preparing for the Olympics, and I gave my all. Truly," she said.The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) earlier on Thursday condemned an online petition calling for an investigation into her selection, saying it contained falsehoods aimed at inciting hatred against her.The petition on change.org, which calls for an apology from Gunn as well as Australia's Olympic Chef de Mission Anna Meares, had over 45,000 signatures by Thursday morning.In a statement, AOC Chief Executive Matt Carroll said the petition attacking Gunn was "vexatious, misleading and bullying"."The petition has stirred up public hatred without any factual basis," he said. "No athlete who has represented their country at the Olympic Games should be treated in this way and we are supporting Dr Gunn and Anna Meares at this time."Carroll added that the AOC has written to change.org demanding that the petition be taken down immediately.Carroll also said that Gunn was selected through a transparent and independent qualification event and nomination process."The AOC is particularly offended by the affront to our Chef de Mission, Anna Meares," he added. "(She) played no role in the qualification events nor the nomination of athletes to the AOC Selection Committee, of which the Chef and I are members."